Solo Build It is one of the premier organizations for helping you to build an online business. Let’s take a look at it.
Solo Build It
Price: $29.99 per month / $299 per year
Owner: Ken Evoy
Solo Build It (SBI), formerly known as Site Build It, is an online business building platform designed to help people looking to build an online business with every step of the process.
SBI makes a point of stressing that it is not simply a site builder, like Wix or Weebly, but rather a web business builder. It is essentially a one-stop shop for all your web business building needs.
With membership, you get:
- Training – everything you need to know to set up and run a successful online business, including an Action Guide
- Community – access to the SBI community any time you need help
- Website Builder – No technical knowledge or experience required
- Web Hosting
- Support – For both your business and your website
- WordPress Integration (optional)
The centerpiece of the entire system is the Action Guide, based on the C –> T –> P –> M process. Here are the components of the process:
1. C = Content. Learn how to build your site with high-quality, interesting, compelling content that not only attracts visitors but also converts into sales.
2. T = Traffic. One of the main goals of any business is to get people to patronize it. Online, we call the people visiting your site “traffic.” SBI teaches you how to attract high quality traffic to your site via search engines, social media, being mobile friendly, inviting guests to create content, and attracting high quality backlinks.
3. P = Pre-sell. This phase is all about building relationships. You will learn how to build an email list, build up your presence on social media, etc. This is all about developing trust with your potential customers and establishing yourself as an expert in your chosen niche.
4. M = Monetize. This is the final phase. This is where you monetize your site to start earning income from it. There are a number of ways to do this, i.e. Google Adsense or affiliate marketing, and SBI teaches how to implement it.
What Is In the Action Guide?
Like I mentioned above, the Action Guide is the centerpiece of the training at SBI. The key to learning how to build a successful business is as simple (not easy) as performing the steps in the Action Guide.
The Action Guide is broken down into Days, with actions to take each day. Of course, you can work at your own pace, but the “Days” are a suggested as a time frame to complete the steps.
Here is a breakdown of what is involved in each section.
Day 1: Master the All-Important Basics. Day 1 is an introduction to the C –> T –> P –> M process. You also learn the importance of pre-selling and how it differs from actual selling. Day 1 is when you introduce yourself in the SBI forum.
Day 2: Develop Your Best Site Concept. This is essentially when you choose your niche. You are introduced to Brainstorm It!, SBI’s keyword research tool, which you can use to help you choose a niche.
Day 3: Brainstorm More Profitable Page Topics. This is where you use keyword research to design your site. You’re not actually building your site here, just a site blueprint, and outline of sorts.
Day 4: Investigate and Plan Monetization Options. There are a number of ways your online business can make money. I mentioned Google Adsense and affiliate marketing above as examples. There are many options, and SBI helps you choose the best one for your niche. It also helps you determine whether your niche is well suited for monetization.
Day 5: Refine Your Site Concept and Register Your Domain Name. Here is where you will determine what kind of brand you want to establish. It will be reflected on your site as well as in your choice of domain name and social media names.
Day 6: Build a Site that Gets the Click! Here is where you implement the site blueprint you developed in Day 3. SBI teaches you how to develop content for your site, which you will need to do to attract visitors. This is the day where you also submit your site to the search engines.
Day 7: Build Free Traffic from a Variety of Sources. Free traffic is the best form, especially when starting out, but it can be the most difficult to obtain. SBI takes the guesswork out of the process by teaching you how to get noticed by the search engines and how to best use social media to obtain free traffic.
Day 8: Develop Relationships. This is all about connecting with visitors to your site. You will develop relationships by building an email list, adding a contact form, interacting through social media, etc. This is actually the “pre-sell” step in the C –> T –> P –> M process.
Day 9: Know Your Visitors. Day 9 is all about understanding the analytics for your site.
Day 10: Monetize – It’s Time! This is where you implement monetization options to start earning money from your site. You’ll start with one option and add options as time goes on.
Pros and Cons
- One-stop shop for building online business
- Easy to get support from community or owners
- Step-by-step Action Guide
- Affordable price
- Honest realistic expectations on sales page
- Good selection of software tools
- WordPress integration as an option
- Amount of information can be overwhelming to newbies
- WordPress option does not include hosting
- Negative attacks on competitors (more below)
Who is SBI For?
Solo Build It is for anyone involved in online businesses at all stages. Whether you are a beginning, intermediate, or advanced online marketer, you will find something useful at SBI.
Tools and Training
The heart of SBI is the training, which is top notch. The Action Guide described above is the centerpiece of the training. It follows a philosophy of “learning by doing.”
In addition to the training, there are a lot of software tools to help you with your online business. Some of these tools include:
- Brainstorm It! – Software that helps you pick a niche and research keywords.
- Site Builder – Build your website. No technical knowledge required.
- Automatic social network integration
- Many more
Support at SBI is top-notch and is available 24/7. Many products offer only email support, and you have to wait days for them to get back to you. SBI offers help almost immediately.
For a standard SBI membership, you have two options:
- $29.99 per month
- $299 per year (17% savings)
If you decide to go with the WordPress option, the price will be lower:
- $17 per month
- $149 per year (27% savings)
All options include a 90-day money-back guarantee.
Final Verdict: Recommended, but…
Solo Build It
Price: $29.99 per month / $299 per year
Owner: Ken Evoy
Solo Build It is definitely a legitimate product and one of my highest recommended options for building an online business. If you go with SBI, you will not need to go with anyone else for hosting, website building, and training. You can’t go wrong with SBI.
While I recommend SBI as a legitimate, high-quality product, I wanted to present an alternative to SBI that offers pretty much everything SBI offers, but I believe surpasses SBI in a few ways.
Introducing My #1 Recommended Product: Wealthy Affiliate
With Wealthy Affiliate, you get everything you get with SBI:
- Detailed, step-by-step training
- Largest community available for support (over 800,000 members)
- 24/7 technical support
- Website builder
- Website hosting (including free SSL, back-up, maintenance, security, updating, etc.)
- Keyword tool
- Access to site owners
However, there are a few areas that Wealthy Affiliate surpasses SBI.
1. Test drive Wealthy Affiliate for FREE. While both SBI and Wealthy Affiliate are guaranteed, SBI offers a 90-day money-back guarantee. That’s a great guarantee, but I prefer a guarantee where you can try the system without the need to even pull out your credit card. That way, you don’t need to contact the site managers and request your money back. Doesn’t it feel like you’re asking for charity whenever you have to do that?
2. Wealthy Affiliate’s sites are all WordPress sites AND hosts them too. It is true that SBI will incorporate WordPress sites, but you will need to have your own hosting. In all likelihood, if you go out and get your own hosting, with security, maintenance, back-up, SSL, etc., you will end up spending a lot more than you will spend for a Premium Membership at Wealthy Affiliate.
Now, it’s true you don’t have to go with a WordPress site at SBI; you can go with a standard HTML site, but if you do that, and later you decide to leave, you will lose access to SBI’s website builder. Now that’s legit – if you stop paying the membership fee, you shouldn’t continue to get membership benefits. But if you have a WordPress site, and you move your site to another host, you still have access to all the WordPress tools, editor, etc. With a straight-up HTML site, you need to either learn to edit in HTML or find another HTML website builder. More expenses.
With Wealthy Affiliate, you get your WordPress site AND hosting. It’s a true one-stop shop. And if you decide to leave Wealthy Affiliate one day, you can easily migrate your site to another host and still have access to WordPress as a platform. Much easier.
3. Up to 50 websites at Wealthy Affiliate. With SBI, you get one website. If you want additional websites, you need to buy additional SBI memberships. Now, in reality, you probably won’t want to build 50 websites. However, many people at Wealthy Affiliate build and manage multiple websites, something you cannot do at SBI with one membership.
4. SBI is a little too aggressive attacking competitors. Actually, SBI attacks only one competitor: Wealthy Affiliate. Now, I know that Wealthy Affiliate and SBI are two of the top online business builders on the Internet, and it’s normal for top competitors to go after each other a little. However, SBI actually attacks Wealthy Affiliate on its sales page, trying to create the idea that simply because many Wealthy Affiliate members are also affiliates of Wealthy Affiliate, any reviews we post are “fake,” even if the review actually praises and recommends SBI, and even though the review is 100% accurate. Not cool.
The bottom line is this: I don’t think you can go wrong with either platform. It is really a matter of personal preference. In fact, my recommendation is to try both SBI AND Wealthy Affiliate. See which one you like better. If you like the training and platform at SBI, stay there and quit your FREE membership at Wealthy Affiliate. If you prefer Wealthy Affiliate, request your refund from SBI and stay with Wealthy Affiliate. You might even want to upgrade to a Wealthy Affiliate Premium Membership eventually, but you don’t have to. You can stay a FREE member forever.
You can read my detailed Wealthy Affiliate Review here.
If you are a member of Solo Build It or Wealthy Affiliate and would like to share your opinion, leave me a comment below. I’d really like to hear from those who have tried both products and see what you think.
Have a great day!