What is VO Genesis about? It is a good question, because when you go to the website, all you see is a video of testimonials (red flag) and a bunch of screenshots of PayPal account balances (another red flag). You have to enter an email address to find out what it is actually about, so I did. Here is what I found.
Price: $97 / $39.95 / $19.95
Owner: Jenny Lewis
Once I got past the initial red-flag-ridden webpage, I was take to a second page that was nothing but a video (red flag #3). As is the case for a lot of sales sites that use only a video, there was no way to fast forward through it to get past all the testimonials and find out what the heck Jenny Lewis was actually selling, so I clicked on the address bar and entered “google.com.” I got the, “Do you want to stay or leave?” message. I clicked on “Stay,” and Bingo! We have a winner. I finally found out what it was about.
“VO” stands for “voice over.” VO Genesis claims to provide you with everything you need to become a voice over artist. However, once I did a little research online, I discovered that the product is basically an e-book. I found it a little hard to believe that an e-book could provide everything the website was claiming.
According to the website, VO Genesis will show you:
- How to sound sincere, believable, and have great timing
- The top websites to find the best paying jobs
- Where to go to find hordes of job offers with little competition
- Why it’s important to find your voice over niche
- How voice over artists scale their abilities to build six or seven figure agencies
It all sounds pretty good. All we need is a little common sense and a little research to evaluate.
There are a few things to like about VO Genesis.
1. The e-book directs the reader to online resources for training. Most people buying VO Genesis will require some voice coaching and training. VO Genesis directs you to websites that can provide the coaching you will need.
2. You will get some direction on where to go for voice over jobs. If you read the VO Genesis website, you get the impression that it is more about how to break into the voice over artist business rather than the training required. This information could be useful for those looking to become a voice over artist.
3. There is demand for voice over artists. Here are some of the gigs you could get as a voice over artist:
- Radio ads
- Audio books
- Video games
- Animated films
Here are the things I don’t like about VO Genesis.
1. Most of the info you can get for free. Just Google, “how to become a voiceover artist,” and you will get tons of resources and recommendations. You will probably get some of the same sites Jenny Lewis recommends for coaching and training.
2. It is way more difficult to be a voice over artist than simply reading an e-book. Being a voice over artist is much like being an actor. There is nothing wrong with either, but if I were to suggest that all you needed to become an actor was to read a book, and when you’re done, you would be getting all these acting gigs, you would know I was full of crap. In reality, you will need lots of coaching and training along with a voice portfolio, and you will need to audition for each job. And since no one is perfect, you will probably need a good sound editor to edit out all your mistakes.
Who is VO Genesis For?
Voice over work is for people who can speak clearly and with confidence.
Like this guy.
If you fit into this category, you might consider VO Genesis as a short-cut to breaking into the voice over business.
Tools and Training
As I mentioned above, the only training offered is referrals to various websites, most of which you could probably find on your own.
No mention is made on whether or not Jenny Lewis will be available for questions or support should you need it. Based on my research, once you buy the e-book, you are on your own.
There are several price levels, based on whether you buy on the original page (video only), the second page (pretty much a transcript of the video on the first page), or on the third page (another video only page). Those prices are:
- First page – $97
- Second page – $39.95
- Third page – $19.95
Obviously, if you are going to buy VO Genesis, I recommend trying to leave the page and clicking “stay” when prompted until you get to the $19.95 price.
Once you purchase VO Genesis, you will get an offer to purchase VO Genesis Accelerator for $37. You can probably get the price down by “threatening” to leave the page, but I am not sure. I did not find anyone who could give me any detail other than that it promises to put you in the top 2% of voice over artists so you can command the highest fees.
There are a couple of other upsells involving products that have nothing to do with voice over, so I am not sure why they are not marketed as separate products.
Ratings Summary Recap
Price: $97 / $39.95 / $19.95
Owner: Jenny Lewis
In summary, I do not recommend buying VO Genesis for the following reasons:
- Most of the info can be found for free.
- Claims on the website are grossly exaggerated.
- Too many red flags (video only pages, too many testimonials, screenshots of PayPal accounts, etc.)
If you have tried VO Genesis, I would love to hear your opinion. Also, if you are a voice over artist who has achieved any success at all, I would love to hear how you got into the business. Just drop me a Comment below.
Have a great day!