It Works! is a multilevel marketing (MLM) company that sells various products to improve body image and health. The question surrounding It Works! is – Are their products worthwhile and can I make money selling them? Let’s take a look.
Price: $99 (Includes Starter Kit of 4 body wraps)
Founders: Mark and Cindy Pentecost
It Works! is an MLM company founded in 2001 by Mark and Cindy Pentecost. They are mostly known for their body wraps, but they offer a lot of other health-related products too, like greens, supplements, cleanses, and various skin-care products.
Like all MLM’s, the products are sold by independent distributors, who earn commissions based, not only on their own sales, but through the sales of their downline, people they’ve recruited (and their recruits recruited). The compensation plan is fairly straightforward, and I spell out the details of it below.
It Works! offers a number of health, fitness, and skin care products. The products tend to be marketed as all natural, and include:
- Body Applicator – It Works! signature body wraps
- Defining Gel
- WOW – “Wipe Out Wrinkles” facial wipes
- Facial – Deep hydration facial sheet mask
- Repair Age – Night cream gel
- Stretch Mark – Moisturizing body cream
- Prevent Age – Day cream gel
- Hair Skin Nails – Dietary supplement
- Lip & Eye – Moisturizing cream gel
- Exfoliating Peel
- Greens – Various flavors and sizes
- It’s Essential! – Snack bars
- Shakes – Chocolate and vanilla
- Fat Fighter
- Confianza – Stress-reducing supplement
- It’s Vital Minerals
- It’s Vital Omega-3
- It’s Vital Core Nutrition
- Ultimate ProFit – Workout shakes, chocolate or vanilla
- Ultimate Thermofit – Weight loss supplement
- Estro Rhythm – Menopause supplement
- Various essential oils
- Essential diffuser
Many of these products are offered together in “packs,” which can save you some money versus ordering the products individually. You can also save money by becoming a “loyal customer,” which you can achieve by ordering one product a month for the first three months.
The products tend to be priced rather high compared to competing products sold by traditional stores and websites. This is pretty common with most MLM’s; the products need to be relatively high-priced to allow the company to pay commissions to distributors across several levels.
Here are some of the prices you can expect to pay:
- Body Applicator: $99 ($59 for loyal customers)
- Greens Blend Value Size: $139 ($79 for loyal customers)
- Cleanse: $60 ($36 for loyal customers)
- Fat Fighter: $42 ($25 for loyal customers)
- Confianza: $45 ($25 for loyal customers)
So you believe in the products and are passionate about the niche? Congratulations. You’ve just passed a couple of my tests for evaluating an MLM as a business opportunity. Now it’s time to look at the compensation plan.
Here is how you earn money as a distributor:
- For each retail (full price) sale you make, you earn the difference between the retail and loyal customer price, which is 40%.
- For each loyal customer or auto-ship sale, you earn 10% plus 5% enroller commission.
There are also some bonuses:
- Sign up four (4) loyal customers in the first 30 days to qualify for all bonuses.
- For every two (2) loyal customer purchases, you get to order one box of wraps for $25.
- For every new distributor you enroll that enrolls two (2) loyal customers in their first 30 days, you earn a $100 bonus.
- If you achieve Diamond level in the first three (3) months, you receive a $10,000 bonus.
- If you achieve Diamond level in the first six (6) months, you receive a $5,000 bonus.
- If you enroll 60 loyal customers and maintain 3,000 bonus volume, you receive a $600 bonus.
Rising Up the Ranks
Like most MLM’s, you can increase your earning substantially by signing up distributors. As you sign up distributors, you receive not only commissions on your own sales but on the sales of your downline.
Here are the various ranks in It Works!
1. Distributor. This is where you start. As a Distributor, you earn 10% commission on your first two levels.
2. Executive. When you sign up two Distributors, you then have two legs. Once each leg achieves 400 group volume, they become Qualified legs, and you become an Executive. At Executive Level, you earn 10% commission on your first two levels, and 5% on your third level.
3. Ruby. For Ruby Level, you need three legs – one Executive and two Qualified legs. At Ruby Level, you earn 10% commission on your first two levels, and 5% on levels three and four.
4. Emerald. For Emerald Level, you need four legs – two Ruby legs and two Qualified legs. At Emerald Level, you earn 10% commission on your first two levels, and 5% on levels three through five. You also qualify for 2% commission on the bonus value of levels 6 and beyond.
5. Diamond. To achieve Diamond Level, you need five legs – one Emerald, one Ruby, and three Qualified legs. At Diamond Level, you earn the same as Emerald Level plus 2% of all additional levels. You also earn an additional 5% on all your personal group volume. You also get the Diamond Bonus, which means you earn $180 instead of $100 for each new distributor you enroll who enrolls two (2) loyal customers in their first 30 days.
There are additional Diamond levels that allow you to earn even more.
What I Like about It Works!
There are several things I like about It Works!
1. Compensation Plan. As MLM’s go, It Works! has a relatively simple compensation plan. It is also pretty generous, allowing commission on unlimited levels once you reach Diamond Level. This is better than most MLM’s I have researched.
2. Incentives. The compensation plan is structured in a way to encourage helping your downline. There is nothing worse than signing up with an MLM where they promise to help you only to find yourself with no sales and no one willing to help. With It Works!, the person you signed up with will earn a $100 bonus if you get two loyal customers in your first 30 days. That’s a pretty big incentive to help you achieve that.
3. Bonuses. The bonuses are very generous with It Works! $10,000 is a lot of money for most people, and if you achieve Diamond Level in 3 months, you get it.
What I Don’t Like about It Works!
There are a few things I don’t particularly like.
1. The Effectiveness of the Wraps is Questionable. A common misconception is that the body wrap helps you lose weight. The truth is that the body wrap may help you lose inches by absorbing water from fat cells. Complaints range from lack of results to adverse allergic reactions to the wrap. Others claim that the recommendations to drink plenty of water and eat healthy while using the wraps are what really makes the difference. However, there are those that claim the wrap worked effectively for them. In any event, the results appear to be temporary, so the use of the wrap is most likely to benefit those who are looking to slim down a couple of inches for a special occasion.
2. Pricey Products. You may be able to find competing products elsewhere at a lower price. Your potential customers may discover this as well, and that will make it difficult to make sales. One thing that sets It Works! apart is that their products are all organic, so that might be a selling point to get people willing to pay more.
3. Difficult to Earn a Full-Time Income. This is the It Works! Annual Income Disclosure Statement for 2015.
Based on this chart, you would need to achieve Double Diamond Level before you can even begin to think about earning a full time living. Now, that’s OK, except that those at Double Diamond or above constitute less than 1% of all distributors. In fact, 82% of all distributors earn an average of $54 per month – $648 per year. That means that the overwhelming number of distributors earn less in one year than most people could live on for one week. On the plus side, those who achieve Ambassador Diamond Level earn an average of about $450,000 per year, but they only make up 0.02% of all distributors.
4. Sell Me this Pen. If you’ve seen Wolf of Wall Street, you are familiar with this statement. The bottom line: you have to be able to sell. This isn’t necessarily a criticism, and it’s not specific to It Works! It is a feature of all MLM’s, and it is also a fact that the overwhelming majority of us are not good at sales and do not feel comfortable even attempting it. This is a big barrier to most of us getting into the MLM business. Unfortunately, many distributors in every MLM will tell you you don’t have to be good at sales. Don’t believe them. If you have never closed a sale and the thought of asking people to part with their hard-earned money scares you, this might not be for you.
Who Is It Works! For?
It Works! is for anyone who believe in the products and is either good at selling or willing to learn how to sell. If you fall into this category, by all means give it a try. $99 is not very much money to spend to start your own business, so you’re not risking your life savings. If you don’t know whether you believe in the products, by all means, give them a try.
If you are not good at sales, or maybe you’re too shy to even attempt it, It Works! may not be for you. Don’t worry, though. There are other opportunities that will allow you to make money online without any direct selling. Keep reading to see how.
Price: $99 (Includes Starter Kit of 4 body wraps)
Founders: Mark and Cindy Pentecost
It Works! is definitely a legitimate opportunity. You can make money with this company. If you have a passion for the products, and you have a natural outgoing personality and an ability to close a sale, you may be able to achieve success in It Works!
However, it’s not for everyone. If you are not good at sales, you’re shy, or you’re just not interested in the products, you may want to look elsewhere.
What If It Works! Is Not for Me?
It Works! is not for everyone. Fortunately, there is an alternative that does not involve selling products face-to face. It’s called affiliate marketing, and it basically involves selling other people’s products online. Since everything is handled online, you don’t have to have parties where you pitch products to your friends and family or sell to strangers. If you want a detailed description of what affiliate marketing involves, you can check out this article.
If you want to learn all the ins and outs of affiliate marketing, the best place to do that is Wealthy Affiliate. You can read my detailed review of Wealthy Affiliate here.
You can get started for FREE, with 10 introductory lessons, two free websites, and access to an online community of over 800,000 entrepreneurs. If you like the introductory training, you can continue by becoming a premium member, but you are under no obligation to do so. You can remain a free member forever if you like. There is no pressure to upgrade. Why not give it a try?
Have a great day!